advertisements

TM UniFi VIP5 Broadband


At long last! My home is now connected to UniFi. I was quite skeptical about the installation process at first as I have had friends who told me that they signed up and when the contractors went to their home to pull the cables, he was told his area had to wait for a month more before his are to be activated. So he had to wait for almost a month before he was finally able to use the service. So naturally, in my area which was only recently that I saw them pulling the underground cables to service, I was wondering if I had to wait another month after they installed in my home before my account was activated.

To my relief, the line was activated immediately after the contractors were done pulling in the cable and installing all the equipment. And right away, I opened up the speedtest.net application on my iPhone to test the connection speed. I first tested a Kuala Lumpur server, which was the nearest, and no surprise that I got something around 4.8Mbps download speed. This was expected as it is only local servers. Here are the rest of my results:




Location Download Speed (Mbps) Upload Speed (Mbps) Ping (ms)
Kuala Lumpur 4.78 3.69 33
Singapore 4.75 5.19 51
Tokyo 3.50 2.62 258
Adelaide 3.68 4.84 252

As you can see from the above, the speed to Singapore is also acceptable. Anything further, and you will be seeing deterioration in speed. Nonetheless, this is good enough for you to view Youtube videos in 720HD format without having to wait. Even 1080 videos loads ok. Be informed though, Youtube videos are optimized to run without taxing their servers too much so the 1080p videos loaded from Youtube may not be as it seems. I tried loading a 1080p trailer from Apple's Trailer website and you can see a very significant difference. Apple's 1080p videos are true 1080p and hence would have a much bigger file compared to its counterpart on Youtube.

Its only been 2 days since and my home is UniFi-ed and I can say now that I'm a happy camper. I'm not bothered about the free TV Channels offerred because I already have a subscription to Astro. I won't be paying TM anymore subscription for the paid channels, thats for sure. I'm sure many who signed up for UniFi did so for the internet speed and not for its TV offerrings. As UniFi gain more grounds and subscribers, I hope it will not cause the broadband speed to deteriorate (as with Streamyx). But for now, its a winner in terms of speed and price (pro-rata compared to its competitors) compared to YES or P1. Definitely a no brainer, if UniFi is available to you, to sign up for it instead of the likes of YES or P1.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

cayrul said...

look good... but how about monthly charges and first time fee? i heard it expensive is that true?

starcam said...

My monthly fee is RM149. Phoneline included. Free calls to all TM land lines. My previous monthly fee for 1Mbps Streamyx was RM88 + Phone line RM27 = RM115. So an extra RM34 for a 5Mbps I think is a lot more worth.