advertisements

Jailbreak iPhone iOS 4.2.1 with Greenpois0n RC5 without restoring


Finally, if any of you that have been camping out waiting for an untethered jailbreak for your iPhone on iOS 4.2.1, the wait is finally over. The iPhone 3GS with new bootroms and the iPhone 4 only had a tethered jailbreak using the RedSn0w tool up until now. I have since been using RedSn0w 0.9.6 RC8 and have been in tethered hell. Every reboot whenever without any PCs (or Mac) around would be devastating! Any updating of Cydia apps that requires a reboot and you better have RedSn0w at hand... But Greenpois0n RC5 has finally been released and it is an untethered jailbreak solution.

Jump in for more...
Anyway, being lazy and all, I was a bit reluctant to immediately restore my iPhone and jailbreak it again using the new Greenpois0n RC5. That's because I have over 25Gb of data to restore and it would take a long time just to do the recovery of data after the jailbreak. So after doing some research online, I found that I don't need to restore and do the whole time consuming process again! So what do I mean by that? Ok, I will explain a few scenarios (but keep in mind Greenpois0n need your iDevice to be on iOS 4.2.1 to work):
  1. You are on iOS 4.1 or lower (with or without jailbreak). In this case, you will need to do a backup and restore if you want to be on iOS 4.2.1 with a jailbreak.
  2. You are on iOS 4.2.1 without any jailbreak. In this case, just sync and backup your data (just in case), then run the Greenpois0n jailbreak.
  3. You are on iOS 4.2.1 with jailbreak (with RedSn0w specifically). In this case, you're on a tethered jailbreak. Just connect your device and put it in DFU mode and run GreenPois0n on it.


So that's what I did and just ran Greenpois0n RC5 over my existing iOS 4.2.1 that was jailbroken with Redsn0w! Everything went as expected and so far I have not had any unwanted behaviours on my iPhone (touch wood). So if you are like me, want to go to untethered heaven, try it out!

You can download Greenpois0n from this LINK.
(As of writing this, Mac and Windows versions are already available).

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: