advertisements

Travelling to Hanoi/Halong Bay from 5th - 8th September.... tomorrow!

Asia cruise in Halong bay Vietnam 
I'm going for a short vacation with my wife tomorrow. We're going to Hanoi city and Halong Bay in Vietnam. I've been doing some research on getting a prepaid service for mobile communications in Vietnam and so far have found three providers, Viettel, Vietnamobile and Mobifone.

I don't care much about the calls and SMS service as I only need the data service. And it is a no brainer to get a prepaid sim card rather than go on international roaming using my local provider. I would spend at least 20x more if I do so. So here is what I have found so far.

Read more...
First of is Viettel. I looked hi and lo on their website and could not find a link that will translate their site to English language. So being a Viet-illiterate, their site is pretty much useless to me. I guess I would have to find out more about them when I arrive there.

Next is Vietnamobile. Their site is actually the most intuitive site with a link provided to an English version of their site and the link to their prepaid service is easily spotted and all information is panned out clearly to us. You can view their prepaid information here.

Mobifone's site is also quite useful for us Viet-illiterates because there is English version too. However the link to their prepaid service is not so visible. I could not find it at first but finally found it is contained in the 3G section. Their link to every page will reset the language back to Vietnamese again so you would have to reclick English in order to understand. You can find their 3G data plans and charges here.

Obviously these information is only indicative and I would have to find out more from the ground resellers once I reach there. But it is handy to have an idea beforehand so that I can plan a budget for this. I will report more once I can. If you have any tips you would like to share, please do as I know many people would love to find out...

No comments: