advertisements

The Elongated iPhone... iPhone 5


For the first time since the release of iPhone 3GS, I'm not awed by the announcement of the latest iPhone 5. Yes it is bigger (just longer actually) and yes it is more powerful than the previous incarnations (it has to be right?), but.... Well, I confess I have been an Apple fan since I first owned the iPhone 3GS and since then, I have got my family and myself the iPhone 4, the iPad and also migrated to a MacBook Pro for my computing usage. Everything has been so innovative from Apple ever since the first iPhone and it took iPhone 3GS to convince me to start using Apple's products.


That being said, yesterday's annoucement of the iPhone 5, nothing special (this is my own opinion of course). For the first time I feel that Apple is playing catch-up rather than being the one being chased. For the first time (since 3GS), I have the urge to tryout a Samsung S3 or even the Nokia Lumia 920. And for the first time, I wish Apple still had Steve Jobs with them for I think they are loosing a lot of creativity without the MAN.

First of all, the elongated iPhone 4 (iPhone 5) looks weird. Only one dimension being enlarged. I cannot help buy think, why force yourself to catch-up with size but then only increase one dimension? Samsung S3 looks gorgeous and definitely isn't hard to hold. And for Apple to say they kept the width the same as iPhone 4 because it was easier to hold will backfire on them if they decide to increase the width in the future. That's pretty stupid marketing talk.


Then comes the camera. Same 8MP as the iPhone 4s but thinner?? No one will notice the thickness of the camera, just the phone. Yes you did a good job and thinning the iPhone 5, but keeping the same camera without much improvement? Sounds like a cheat. The panorama feature isn't going to buoy me. There are already tonnes of apps in the AppStore that will let you do that, even on the 3GS. What more, this feature is only available on iPhone 5 with iOS 6. I fail to see how that's an improvement...

I hate to say this, but Samsung's S3 is way ahead of the iPhone 5. Just its gorgeous Super AMOLED screen is a good enough reason. And how about the NFC feature? This was touted in all the rumour mongers that it will arrive in the form of iPhone 5, but sad to report its a missing feature. And I have no doubt Android apps will surpass iOS apps in number very soon. Microsoft will also be smirking with the mediocre upgrade to iPhone 5 and we might see Nokia finally doing well with their Lumia lineup. Big thanks to Apple on the gimme to Nokia.

Anything else good to talk about besides the processor and the camera? I mean really innovative, new and awesome to talk about? Well, ask Siri and it might tell you. Sure some may say they improved the looks and colors. I'm sorry to say looks and colors just ain't gonna cut it. Apple is synonymous with invention, innovation, creativity and style. What we got is lacking in all department. I would have loved to bragged to my Android friends about the new iPhone 5, but alas, I will have to hold back on that thought. Come on Apple, you could do better than this... or can you still?

No comments: